OK guys it’s the first hump day of 2017 so I wanted to check in to see how everyone is feeling. How is morale? Most of you are back to work now, the kids are back to school so some sort of routine or ‘normality’ has come back into play & I was wondering how it has all affected you if at all? Have you set resolutions and stuck to them?
I don’t know the exact figures but there’s a statistic that states that most people who set New Years resolutions have quit trying to maintain them before they even get to the end of January! So with that in mind I thought I’d very quickly throw up this blog to pass onto you guys some great tips that I use in my own life to keep my motivation high no matter what it is that I’m trying to achieve.
I hope that you can relate to them and use them in some area of your life & I hope that you find them valuable.
- Have a compelling reason WHY you’re trying to achieve a certain goal – To kickstart and maintain your motivation when it comes to setting and achieving a goal you need to spend some time coming up with a strong enough reason why you are doing it in the first place. I mean it needs to give you goosebumps and make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck and whenever you think of that reason why it needs to light a fire in your belly and get you excited. If you just half assed set a goal or a bunch of goals you may have an initial spike of motivation but it will very quickly die out when things become challenging & then inevitably you’ll quit. So once you’ve decided on a goal & committed to it spend a good amount of time thinking about the reason why you want it, I mean the REAL reason why, you don’t have to share that reason if you think it’s silly but as long as it has the desired affect on you then you’ve massively increased your chances of winning.
- Once you’ve set yourself a goal(s) then have someone hold you accountable to achieving it – What I mean by that is tell someone or a group of people what it is you want to do, once it’s out there and people know about it it becomes bigger than just you and for me personally the thought of then not achieving it & having people think I wasn’t capable is a huge driving force for me. If you really want to get it out there for the purposes of accountability then post your intentions on your social media because we all know/have that one person in our lives who will always be checking in on you because secretly they want you to fail & sticking it to that douche bag is a great & very motivating feeling.
- Stay focused on the big picture – For me it makes sense when I set a big goal to have lots of smaller more manageable goals along the way, I find that by reverse engineering things and having those bite sized goals it helps to keep me focused and on track because I feel like I’m constantly winning. That being said it can also feel like all your doing is going through a tick box exercise and not really getting any closer to the main goal so every once in a while it pays to take some time out, breath, review how far you’ve come and spend time focusing on the bigger picture and where this journey you’ve set out on is actually leading to.
- Don’t class things as failures, class them as lessons and learn from them – Here’s something I was taught a long time ago that has stuck with me ever since an it was instrumental in changing my mindset with regards to setting goals & winning. “There’s no such thing as failure only feedback & as long as you learn from that feedback, remain flexible and consistently move forward eventually you’ll hit the mark” I think that sentence speaks for itself but it essentially means don’t get disheartened if you don’t hit the mark first time, it doesn’t mean you’ve failed it just means you’ve found a way that didn’t work, so keep going until you find a way that does work.
- Stay healthy, eat well, train regularly & rest – You guys know me well enough by now to know that I’m a firm believer that if you want to achieve anything in life it’s essential to have a strong foundation of good health. Without looking after yourself not only will you decrease your chances of success because you have increased your chance of getting sick or diseased but even if you do manage to achieve what you set out to do if you’ve neglected your health how can you possible enjoy what you’ve earned? Quick example, if you set out to become a Billionaire & all you do is work, stress yourself out, eat garbage and never move your body yet you achieve your goal what was the point? If you end up 30 stone in weight how will you fit in your Lamborghini? If you end up so stressed out you can’t get out of bed how will you enjoy your 45 bedroom mansion, or your private jet or all of the holidays and experiences you can now afford but aren’t able to take advantage of? Look after yourself first other wise you’re wasting your time.
OK I went on a bit more than I intended to here so what I’ll do is split this BLOG into two halves so keep your eyes on your inbox for the other half which will be with you by the end of the week.
I hope this first part is of value to you, I hope you can use these tips somehow and I really hope that whatever it is you’ve set out to achieve in 2017 that you’re successful.
Don’t forget to keep an eye on my Facebook, Instagram & Twitter for regular updates about my up and coming documentary and the progress I’m making with my new book. It’s an exciting year for me and I hope it is for you to. I couldn’t do half of this stuff without your constant support and encouragement so thank you for believing in me and showing me that I can still be of value to the world, I hope in some way that I’m showing you just how valuable you are to.